Welcome to the Innovator forum, please take a moment to read the Forum Rules HERE before posting.

RF Interference

Come in & share your Innovator flying tips!

RF Interference

Postby Clacks son » Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:49 am

I have been flying a Mini Titan at a Munipal Field for a while, and had perhaps 1 or 2 problems out of 100 flights. This field is used by others for R/c flying. However, it is fairly close to radio transmitters for various agencies.

Out of perhaps 5 flights with the Innovator, perhaps three ended with strange flight characteristics, and one major inverted crash into the Police Department metal roof, which is a story in itself :-)
Anyway, I suggest leaving fields alone that have ANY suggestion of transmitters around. This may also include flying in school gymnasiums, as I have seen some You Tube videos on some flying problems in these areas. Bear in mind that any Municipal area. building more than likely has some kind of radi frquency setup, be it communication or security.
Another thought I have is that in the Innovator, the program is in the Heli... so, rather than flying the Heli around, perhaps we should look at this in the way that the PROGRAM is moving around, which is normally in the TX. Sort of like doing a range check, and then moving to another location for flying. The brain of this thing is constantly flying in and out of possible RF interference. Any official comment on this appreciated.
Clacks son

Re: RF Interference

Postby Mike » Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:29 am

Hi,

I also have a feeling that something strange is going on. First I thought the gyro gain was to high or something like that since the servos make a strange "buzzing" sound around their neutral positions. Now I understand that the problem is a little bit more complex since I have seen spontaneous strange behaviours during flight. My MD530 sometimes showes a strange behaviour in pitch when it suddenly pitch up without any reason. I might also have seen an unpredictable lateral behaviour. However, not as bad as in your case but so far I haven't been further away than 30 ft or so. When I put the helicopter on ground without the rotor spinning, I could actually see spontaneous deflections on the rotor blades when I walked further away. This reminded me about RF interferrence on the old 27 MHz system. During all my flights I'm sure there haven't been any one else flying within my range. However, I know there are telecom transmitters in the area as well as cellphones and Wfi etc. My wireless router is on the same RF band for example.

Furthermore, I always receive an error code after each flight from the PC software:
Error Code 10: Communication noise Excessive

It is hard for me to understand why the 2.4GHz technology used would be so sensitive to external RF sources. I'm planning to bring my MB550 to an area far away from any transmitters what so ever to see if there is any difference. I let you know later. By the way, Interresting theory about the helicopter flying through the RF fields.

Regards

Mike
Mike

Re: RF Interference

Postby Clacks son » Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:55 am

Hello Mike
Yes, I also noticed a RedDot message on RF interference, but that MAY be a normal error code... but it DOES coincidentally match things up. Interesting that you notice servo changes while on the ground... very telling. I have been flying at another area, sometimes twice a day, and no problems at all. I might try what you brought up, take it to the area with sugested interference, set it up, and just observe the servo changes, if any.
These days, there are many towers disguised as pine trees etc... best to keep a sharp look out with the 530, I think.
Rich
Clacks son

Return to Flying Tips